[step-manufacturing] Minutes of May 14 telecon

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Fri May 16 08:06:28 EDT 2014

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Julie Huang, Tedborg, Sanvik, Sweden
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
Kevin Warren, Sandvik, USA
Mike Restall, Sandvik, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Robert Ericksson, Pratt & Whitney, USA
Tom Raun, ISCAR Metals, USA
Doron Cohen, ISCAR Metals, Israel
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France
Yin Lampard Zhang, University of Auckland, New Zealand
Jim Kosmala, Okuma, USA
Rod Tojdowski, Okuma, USA
Thanh Huynh, Okuma, USA
Bob Baldizzi, Okuma, USA
Joe Alhafi, Okuma, USA
Matt Roux, Okuma, USA
Ron Raniszewski, Okuma, USA

*Agreements*

·Boeing, OMAC, Iscar, Sandvik, and Okuma will participate in STEP-NC
Machining Demonstrations during IMTS 2014**

·Boeing will provide 15 stock blanks to Okuma (without mounting holes)
for development/demonstration purposes**

o*Boeing will provide by June 15*

·Boeing will return existing cutters. **

o*Cutters will be returned to Sandvik and Iscar for checking and cutters
appropriate for the new machine will be sent to Okuma *

·Boeing will see if a more “Aerospacy” part can be developed/ programmed
to replace Moldy **

o*We will continue to use Moldy because it is widely known and clearly
not a production part*

·Okuma will provide Machine/Operator/Presentation infrastructure,
including large monitor**

·Boeing/OMAC will provide */presenter/*

·Moldy machining will only take place at Okuma booth**

·Other STEP/OMAC activities may take place at other booths**

·Sandvik and Iscar will each provide optimized machining processes for
new Okuma machine

o*New machine is a Genos M560*

·Demonstrations will occur once per day**

o*Planned time is 11AM*

·Demonstration target duration is 15 minutes**

·Follow ups will occur in booth after meeting and during sessions**

·Martin Hardwick will attend demonstrations**

·Integration of STEP-NC Explorer and Thinc control will be part of
demonstration**

o*Sid Venkatesh will send Okuma simulator to STEP Tools for testing and
integration*

o*Martin Hardwick will visit Okuma to discuss integration*

·David will be the data source for machining processes. This mimics a
real-world situation**

o*All revisions to process are to be coordinated through David Odendahl*

·Automatic loading, generation, and staging of M and G codes from
Explorer will be attempted**

o*Okuma to examine current user interface*

·Mapping of in-process data (spindle load, tolerances, HP, vibration,
etc) to high-levelprocess definition MAY be attempted

o*Okuma will supply THINC-API to STEP Tools for testing*

·Mapping of in-process probe data to high-level process definition will
not be attempted in 2014

·Use of STEP-NC as definition source for collision detection will not be
attempted in 2014

*Questions*

·Should we continue with Moldy machining in Renton on other features? **

o*No resource has moved on*

·Will Iscar provide tools/support for test? **

o*Yes*

·When should the meeting sessions after demonstration be scheduled? **

o*2:30PM to 4PM each day*

·Who will verify that Explorer will run smoothly on Thinc Control? **

o*Okuma*

·How do we respond to someone who says“I’ll take it”

o*Sandvik and Iscar will be in booth with brochures on process
optimization services*

o*STEP Tools will be in booth with brochure on STEP-NC for the Okuma
control*

·How do we integrate with presentation sessions

o*We will have business cards to hand out with the time and place for
the after demonstration meeting sessions*

·How do we get “bonus” publicity

o*OMAC publicity articles will be written to amplify the impact before
and after the show*

·How should MT Connect be involved?

o*No will cause confusion and cloud the message*

·What type of spindle will be on the new machine?

o*Machine has CAT 40 spindle*

o*Okuma to send machine specs to Sandvik and Iscar with horsepower and
torque curves*

·What types of information should be shown in the STEP-NC Explorer
during the machining>

o*Spindle load*

o*Actual position*

o*Actual RPM*

o*Actual loads*

*Action Items*

·Martin to assist Okuma in loading STEP-NC Explorer

o*On-line introduction took place on Thursday May 15 10AM*

·Okuma to provide machine model to Martin for simulation

o*Already sent and integrated into latest version of the STEP-NC Explorer*

·Okuma and STEP-Tools to discuss how to automatic loading, generation
and staging(click reduction)

o*Martin will show current clicks on Thursday*

·Sandvik and Iscar to decide on process optimizations appropriate to the
new machine

o*Want to determine development schedule in the next telecon*

**
The next conference call will be held at the regular times on Wednesday
May 21st.

ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_3/stepmanuf_telecon_20140514.wmv