[step-manufacturing] Minutes of January 22nd conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Fri Jan 24 16:57:05 EST 2014

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Yujiang Li, KTH, Sweden
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
Julie Huang, Sandvik, Sweden
Mike Restall, Sandvik, USA
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Robert Erickson, Pratt and Whitney, USA
Vincent Marchetti, Ameritech, USA
Thomas Raun, ISCAR, USA
Yin Lampard Zhang, University of Auckland, New Zealand
Fiona Zhao, McGill University, Canada
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France
Laurent Lalliard, CETIM, France
Ian Stroud, EPFL Switzerland

STEP Tools has ported its STEP-NC export functionality to Mastercam X7.

Sandvik has made cutting tool assembly data for the Boeing/Okuma tools
and the Hermle/KTH tools.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_2/Sandvik-Boeing_tools/
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_2/Sandvik-KTH_tools/

We discussed the generation of in-process models for the male and female
parts of HARDMOLDY. The raw toolpath data is misleading because it is
too process specific. We need geometry that is more descriptive of the
target area showing the limits of what must be cut without requiring
specific results. We will try to generate this geometry using an
extrusion or projection of the underlying part geometry.

We discussed what facilities will be necessary in a laboratory to test
STEP-NC machining.

We discussed the Subtractive/Additive Manufacturing conference call
between the teams developing STEP AP242, STEP-NC AP238 and AMF. There
are concerns that because AMF approximates geometry it is less
appropriate as a neutral data format now that boundary representations
can be passed between systems using formats such as STEP, IGES and JT.

A recording of the call is on the ftp site.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_2/stepmanuf_telecon_20140122.wmv

The next conference call will be at the regular times on Wednesday
January 22nd and will continue to be held on a weekly schedule at least
until the Feb 13 and 14 workshop.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_2/ARC_OMAC_2014.pdf

Action Items
1. Boeing to machine the profile and pocketing operations using the v15
Sandvik process
2. STEP Tools to demonstrate functionality of the STEP-NC explorer using
the  ISO 13399 data for tool assemblies
3. David Odendahl to generate better in-process models for the male and
female roughing.
4. Leon Xu to prepare an equipment list for the ADMC machining lab