[step-manufacturing] Minutes of January 9th Conference Call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Thu Jan 10 15:21:27 EST 2013

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Tom Scotton, CCAT, USA
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA
Vincent Marchini, Ameritech, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing USA
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France
David Madeley, Siemens NX, UK

Apologies for Absence
------------------------------
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Bill Craig, Dassault Systemes, USA

The CAM vendors need help making the business case for implementing
their translators. They need to know more about what is required to
implement a translator and what the value will be to the customer. We
developed the following three point action plan to help them get started.

1. Make a copy of Boxy in your CAM system so that you can understand
what data needs to be written into STEP-NC.
http://www.steptools.com/products/stepncmachine/samples/boxy/

2. Make an estimated for the cost of implementing a STEP-NC export using
the materials previously developed to guide the first phase of
implementation.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_1/old_materials/Walthrough_AP-238_CC1.ppt

3. Review the business case that we developed for the IMTS show.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/IMTS/STEP-NC_benefits.pdf

We discussed the schedule and the demonstration scenario. We propose to
use the new CAM translators to implement cutting tool solutions by
having users model an operation in their CAM systems. The data will then
be saved as a STEP-NC file that will be sent to the cutting tool
vendors. The cutting tool vendors will recommend a solution using their
cutting tool(s) and return it as a STEP-NC file that can be viewed,
verified and modified before being included in the new manufacturing
solution.

We discussed the venue for the first face to face meeting. The new CCAM
center for advanced manufacturing was recommended because it has both
Siemens and Sandvik participating as well as machine tool vendors such
as Hermle and DMG, and significant users such as Rols Royce and Newport
News.

http://www.ccam-va.com/

The next conference call will take place at the regular times on
Wednesday January 23rd. A recording of this conference call is available
at the following ftp site:

ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_1/stepmanuf_telecon_20130109.wmv

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader ISO STEP-Manufacturing

1. David Madeley to research the availability of CCAM to host the face
to face meeting.
2. David Madeley to build a model of Boxy in Siemens NX.
3. David Odendahl and Martin Hardwick to review and update the getting
started materials in
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_1/old_materials/
4. OMAC to revise, correct and endorse the STEP-NC Business Case at its
meeting in Orlando, Florida on February 14 (contact David Odendahl or
Sid Venkatesh if you wish to attend).