[step-manufacturing] Minutes of May 16th conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Fri May 18 16:28:03 EDT 2012

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Christer Wickman, KTH, Sweden
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Ronnie Fesperman, NIST, USA
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA
Vincent Marchini, Ameritech, USA
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France
Doron Cohen, ISCAR, Israel
Ian Stroud, EPFL, Switzerland

We reviewed the latest version of the STEP-NC program for machining the
crown wheel. The machining process is close to completion and we are
awaiting some final recommendations on best practices from Scania.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Stockholm2/May16/Crown%20Wheel%20Setup%201%20and%202%20%5B2012-05-11%5D.238

A STEP reader for measured cutting tools is being implemented for the
840D. The new reader will be demonstrated at the June ISO meeting.

We discussed the properties in the STEP files for the cutting tools,
machine tools and fixtures. There was some confusion over what
properties have been implemented in the different versions of the data
sets and we concluded that STEP Tools should give high priority to
adding displays of this information to the STEP-NC Explorer.

We discussed the operation that will be measured to predict machining
accuracy. The operation will have a uniform cross section for its
cutting so it is not necessary for this information to be pre-computed
in a machining simulation. Completion of the positional accuracy data
necessary for predicting the machining accuracy is now the highest priority.

We discussed the distributed STEP file demonstration. The goal is to
show how Scania might assemble a cutting tool from components supplied
by Sandvik and ISCAR and then define a tolerance between the gauge line
in the Sandvik holder and the tip of the ISCAR cutting component. The
technical issue that makes this difficult is that the Scania assembly
must reference data stored in the Sandvik and ISCAR cutting tool
databases. This requires inter-file references and there is no agreement
within STEP yet about how to best implement such references. Therefore,
STEP Tools has developed the following specification that it will test
on the cutting tool example.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Stockholm2/External_geometric_representation_items.txt

A recording of this conference call is available at the following ftp.
The next conference call will be at 11AM Eastern on Wednesday May 23rd.
Note the different time again.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Stockholm2/stepmanuf_telecon_20120516.wmv

Action items
1. STEP Tools to update the STEP-NC Explorer to display the semantic
properties for the tools, fixtures and machines.
2. STEP Tools to implement its proposal for external references between
STEP files.
3. KTH to complete the STEP-NC data for the machining process.
4. KTH to complete the positional accuracy data for its Mazak machine tool.
5. Boeing to compute the cutting forces for the measured operation.