[step-manufacturing] Minutes of May 2nd conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Wed May 2 17:04:45 EDT 2012

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Ronnie Fesperman, NIST, USA
Vincent Marchini, Ameritech, USA
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France

Apologies for Absence
-------------------------------
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA
Ian Stroud, EPFL, Switzerland

Ten or more of the regular participants in these conference calls will
be at the STEP meeting in Stockholm so we estimated that the room for
the STEP-NC review on Tuesday should be able to hold 20 persons and the
room for the Industry review day should be able to hold 30 persons.

As per the schedule, Wg3/T24 (aka STEP-Manufacturing) will meet on all
five days of the STEP meeting. Monday will be spent meeting with other
groups, Tuesday will be dedicated to a review of the STEP-NC resources,
Wednesday will be the STEP industry day organized by SC4 with
contributions by several of our team members, Thursday will be the day
of the STEP-Manufacturing machining demonstrations at KTH, Friday will
be an industry review day in which recommendations will be made for
cutting tool and machine tool data.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Stockholm2/T24_Stockholm2_Agenda.pdf

If you can only join us for one day then Thursday is recommended, those
who can manage two days are recommended to join us for Thursday and Friday.

We discusses an assembly scenario for cutting tools in which the cutting
tool components are stored in vendor managed tool libraries and the end
user creates cutting tools assemblies from those components. Many
different scenarios can be envisaged with single level assemblies and
multi-level assemblies being managed by both the cutting tool vendors
and the end user organizations. We agreed to develop an experiment in
which cutting tool data is created in NX from data supplied by the
vendors and then the result is stored as an assembly at the end user
organization containing references to the "master" data in vendor tool
libraries and with tolerance constraints defined on the key attributes
of those components and the assembly in the assembly file.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Stockholm2/cutting_tool_assembly_scenario.pptx

We discussed the project schedule. More time will be needed to make the
cutting tool recommendations for the crown wheel part. Adjustments were
made to the schedule to allow one more week for the cutting tool
recommendations.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Stockholm2/Stockholm_Schedule2.gif

A recording of this conference call is available at the following ftp.
The next conference call will be at Noon Eastern on Wednesday May 9th.
Note the different time and early date.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Stockholm2/stepmanuf_telecon_20120502.wmv

Action Items
1. Tooling vendors to make cutting tooling recommendations for the crown
wheel part.
2. STEP Tools to create multi-level assemblies.
3. KTH to define constructive geometry for cutting tool tolerances in
distributed assemblies