[step-manufacturing] Minutes and test data from April 4th conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Thu Apr 5 18:14:45 EDT 2012

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Yujiang Li, KTH Sweden
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Ronnie Fesperman, NIST, USA
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France
Ian Stroud, EPFL, Switzerland
Vincent Marchini, Ameritech, USA

Apologies for Absence
-------------------------------
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA

1. Cutting Tool Representation

We have two cutting tools from two vendors (Sandvik and ISCAR) each
using the same representation. The first cutting tool includes geometric
construction data, associative tolerance data and semantic tolerance data.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Stockholm2/cutting_tool_examples/ASSEMBLY_T08-C5_conical_ball_nose_R4.stp

The second cutting tool uses the same type of representation to describe
a series of mounting points for its data inserts.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Stockholm2/cutting_tool_examples/3191312.stp

The high degree of commonality between the two representations (each
made in different CAD systems) is highly encouraging and we will try to
organize a meeting in Stockholm to reach agreement on how to represent
cutting tool data in AP-242.

2. June Demonstration

We have made our first test data for the Stockholm demonstration.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Stockholm2/Data/20120405_Crown_Wheel_Setup_1_and_2.238

You can view this data using the STEP-NC Explorer software - available
at no charge for testing purposes at

http://www.steptools.com/products/stepncmachine/download/

The manufacturing operations were programmed in Mastercam. The workpiece
and fixtures were designed in NX.  The team is encouraged to view the
data and make suggestions for future iterations.

The next telecon will be held on Wednesday April 18th at the regular
times. A recording of this meeting is at the following ftp site

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Stockholm2/stepmanuf_telecon_20120404.wmv

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader STEP-Manufacturing