[step-manufacturing] Minutes of October 7 Conference Call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Tue Oct 11 04:52:45 EDT 2011

Attendees
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Vincent Marchini, Ameritech, USA
Aydin Nassehi, University of Bath, UK
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Ronnie Fesperman, NIST, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France

1. We discussed the kinematics model in Part 105. This model has been
radically changed in its second edition to make kinematic links, joints
and pairs into representation items (see slide 15 in the URL below). The
change gives these items the same status and position within the STEP
infrastructure as other geometric and form feature properties such as
datums and dimensions, and it fixes several representation issues that
were discovered with the edition 1 resources making them difficult to
use when representing some types of kinematic links (see slides).

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Undecided/Kinematic_structure_representation_of_products_and_manufacturing_resources_2011-10-07_KTH_Hedlind.pdf

The change in Part 105 is radical because the information structure of
Edition 1 is not upward compatible with the information structure of
Edition 2. Therefore, any data that belongs to Edition 1 will have to be
restructured for Edition 2. This almost never happens in STEP because of
the importance of upward compatibility, but as far as we know the Part
105 change should not be a problem because only STEP-Manufacturing has
been making kinematics data so far.

KTH are testing the new edition by using it to  implement a
bi-directional translator for machine tool kinematics data between NX
and Catia (see slides at URL).

The new edition of Part 105 is being used in AP-242 which is replacing
and unifying AP-203 Edition 2 and AP-214 Edition 3.  STEP Tools is
updating ST-Developer and ST-Machine to read and write data defined by
AP-203, AP-214 and AP-242.  This will allow us to use AP-242 to
represent the workpieces and other geometric models in STEP-NC. It will
also allow the CAD vendors who use ST-Developer to seamlessly upgrade to
AP-242.

http://www.steptools.com/support/stpcad_docs/

2. We discussed CC4 implementation of STEP-NC. A set of slides was
prepared showing four implementation options.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Undecided/Aydin_sc4-slides-1.pdf

During the conference call a fifth option was constructed by combining
Scenarios 1 and 4. In the new scenario (see conference call recording) a
CAM system is used to "automatically" generate codes for legacy
machines. This implements Scenario 4 by using a CAM system (on or near
the control) to create an intelligent machine, and it implements
Scenario 1 because two CAM systems (the process design system, and the
process execution system) are exchanging CC4 data.

We discussed how to demonstrate Scenario 5. We decided to enrich the
Fishhead data set to create a CC4 example that can be read into
different CAM systems to show the automatic and intelligent generation
of machine codes.  Aydin Nassehi agreed to prepare a set of slides for
the next conference call to show what kinds of information should be
included in the enriched data set.

A recording of this conference call is on the ftp site.  The next
conference call will be at the regular times on October 21.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Undecided/stepmanuf_telecon_20111007.wmv

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader