[step-manufacturing] Minutes of Conference Call #12

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Sun May 8 22:34:38 EDT 2011

Attendees
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Erik Jacobson, GE Energy, USA*
*Ronnie Fesperman, NIST, USA
Andreas Archenti, KTH, Sweden
Vincent Marchini, Ameritech, USA
Alain Brail, AlBavis (Airbus retired),  France
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA

Apologies for Absence
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA

We reviewed the EXPRESS-G model for ASME B5.59-2. The model uses
measurements to approximate machine tool errors.  The model allows a
series of measurements to be made most notably in the forward and
backwards direction for each axis. These measurements are then stored in
an error table so that a system can construct an estimate for the
location of the tool for any programmed point. A similar principle is
applied to compute an estimate for the roll, pitch and yaw of the axis.

We reviewed the implementation of ISO 13399 in the STEP-NC Explorer.
Using the clamping values to set the tool length is not realistic
because these values will not be understood by the end user. A more
direct interface is needed with the clamping limits being used to give
advice on the limits of the tool length. We need to do more testing and
include tools with three assembly items.

We discussed the likely implementation strategies for the ISO 13399
cutting tool  model. The MT Connect initiative is developing an Internet
API for ISO 13399 in Part 4 of the MT Connect standards. This interface
will be used by machine tools to give remote applications access to
information about the cutting tools on the machine tool. KTH and STEP
Tools are mapping ISO 13399 into Edition 3 AP-214. This mapping will
allow annotative and semantic GD&T data to be included in a cutting tool
data set.

A recording of the call is on the ftp site at the address below. The
next call will be at the usual times on Friday May 20.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/Undecided/stepmanuf_telecon_20110506.wmv

Action Items
1. Ronnie Fesperman to prepare a presentation on how to map a nominal
tool pose (position and orientation) into an actual pose estimate using
ASME B5.59-2
2. STEP Tools to update the ISO 13399 interface to modify tool
assemblies using the tool length.