[step-manufacturing] Minutes of Renton #9

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Thu Sep 30 15:44:41 EDT 2010

Attendees
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
Alain Brail, AlBavis,  France
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA
Vincent Marchini, Ameritech, USA
Rich Morihara, Boeing, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA

Apologies for Absence
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Fiona Zhao, NIST,/New Zealand
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA
Wen Jiang, Boeing, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Richard Zuray, Boeing, USA

We reviewed the two tutorials. Tutorial 1 shows how to compensate a
setup using a STEP file containing surface measurements. Tutorial 2
shows how to define add compensation operations to a STEP-NC file using
the STEP-NC Explorer.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/Renton/demo/closed_loop_tutorial_1.ppt
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/Renton/demo/closed_loop_tutorial_2.ppt

We reviewed the new version of Boxy made by KTH. The new model has 7
datums - 3 for the finished model and 4 in-process datum's for measuring
the part between setups. The new model has one fixture in two
configurations. The first has spacers to raise the part. The second has
no spacers.  A new engraving has been added for Al's Rod shop.

A new version of the closed loop machining model has been produced in
response to feedback from David Odendahl. The new version has an
additional parameter for the single pass entity as documented in change
history at the back.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/Renton/Closed_loop/Closed_loop_schema_20100929.pdf

We reviewed the proposed schedule for the meeting. The start times for
the meetings were made earlier because most of the attendees will be
from the East Coast. A tour of the Boeing calibration lab is being
planned for the second day.  A map showing the location of the 10-20
building where we will meet has been added to the ftp site.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/Renton/Invitation/T24_Renton_Agenda.rtf
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/Renton/Invitation/Renton.pdf

We reviewed the remaining work items before the meeting. Everything
appears to be on schedule. The open items are listed as action items below.

A recording of the call is on the ftp site at the address below. The
next call will be at the usual times on Wednesday October 6.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/Renton/stepmanuf_telecon_20100929.wmv

Action Items
1. STEP Tools to rotate fixture to correct orientation
2. Boeing to determine feeds and speeds.
3. Boeing to make Machine tool model for their Okuma machine
4. Boeing to fine tune agenda times for machining demo
5. Boeing to make some more sample data sets using tutorial 2 as a guide
6. KTH to make model of parallel using Boeing dimensions