[step-manufacturing] Minutes of Renton Call #6

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Fri Sep 10 12:25:46 EDT 2010

  _Attendees_
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Vincent Marchini, Ameritech, USA
Rich Morihara, Boeing, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Alain Brail, AlBavis,  France
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Fiona Zhao, NIST,/New Zealand
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA
Wen Jiang, Boeing, USA

_Apologies for Absence_
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Richard Zuray, Boeing, USA
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA

We discussed the closed loop machining model. We agreed that a second
type of workingstep needs to be added to the model so that a fixed frame
can be defined on the tool at the start of the machining. This frame
will then be used as a reference point for the subsequent measurements
and compensations. We discussed the error control block. We decided that
the summary parameters (distance moved, overall rotation) were not
useful because they would not be used in practice. We decided that the
reference direction a, b and c parameters should be changed to an alpha
angle as defined by the FARO arm. We debated over whether the remaining
rotational limits should be replaced with roll, pitch and yaw parameters
as used in robotics. The i, j, k and alpha  parameters are more familiar
to machinists but roll, pitch and yaw are more precise and possibly more
appropriate because the item being measured is the location of the
workpiece in the vise. No decision was made.

The new version of the closed loop model is on the ftp site at:

ftp://www.steptools.com/private/Renton/Closed_loop/Closed_loop_schema_20100910.pdf

The meeting invitation and registration have been posted onto the STEP
Tools home page and can be accessed at the URL's below

http://www.steptools.com/library/stepnc/2010_renton/Fall10MeetingInvitation.doc
http://www.steptools.com/library/stepnc/2010_renton/Fall10Registration.doc

The next call will be at the regular times on Wednesday September 15. A
meeting recording of this call is at the ftp below.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/Renton/stepmanuf_telecon_20100908.wmv

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader