[step-manufacturing] Minutes of Renton Conference Call #4

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Thu Aug 26 12:03:19 EDT 2010

  _Attendees_
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Vincent Marchini, Ameritech, USA
Rich Morihara, Boeing, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Alain Brail, AlBavis,  France

_Apologies for Absence_
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Fiona Zhao, NIST,/New Zealand
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA

We discussed how to process the STEP data produced by the FARO arm. The
data is organized into a set of manifold_surface_shape_representations
with one representation per measured surface. In the demonstration we
will be making one STEP file for each setup and each file will contain
six manifold_surface_shape_representations. The first three surfaces
will measure a machine reference point. The second three surfaces will
measure a corner on the part. The first three surfaces are necessary to
keep the coordinate system constant when the arm is dismounted and
remounted between setups.

ftp://www.steptools.com/private/Renton/Boxy_sample_2_-_setup_1.stp

We discussed how to manage the coordinate system changes. Algorithms can
be added to the STEP-NC Explorer to make the adjustments between setups
or some analysis software on the arm can be used to make the adjustment
and keep the coordinate system constant. Making the adjustment in the
Explorer has the advantage of allowing the data to be captured in the
STEP-NC data file.

We discussed the closed loop machining model. The model continues to
change with a new attribute for the machine reference point being added
during the conference call. This becoming a source for concern because
the date of the demonstration is rapidly approaching. In discussions
after the call it was decided that ISO 14649 style documentation should
be written for the model and that if it remained stable during this
process then it will be ready for mapping into AP-238.

ftp://www.steptools.com/private/Renton/Closed_loop_model.txt

The next call will be at the regular times on Wednesday September 1.

The video recording for this weeks call is below.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/Renton/stepmanuf_telecon_20100825.wmv

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader STEP-Manufacturing

Action Items
Martin Hardwick to develop ISO 14649 style documentation for the closed
loop model.
Rich Morihara to investigate using the FARO arm analysis software to
keep the coordinate system constant