[step-manufacturing] STEP-NC and XML as standard

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Thu Jun 10 13:43:55 EDT 2010

Dear Per-Arne Carlsson,

Thank you for your kind words on STEP-NC. We have been working very hard
to establish the standard.

There are many useful applications for STEP-NC data including line
balancing.

When we started to implement STEP-NC we adopted Part 28 XML as our
primary data format to make the new data more open while continuing to
support Part 21 ASCII so that we could continue to work with the STEP
legacy.

In addition we adopted several conventions about how we write the Part
28 XML. The most important being that we  insert many comments into the
files to make them easier to understand and process using languages like
XSLT. This has been invaluable to us as we have built and debugged our
STEP-NC applications and we would suggest that it or something similar
should be adopted across STEP to make applications more open.

In addition for tools such as web browsers we have put starter tools
onto our web site including a Java tool path viewer.

http://www.steptools.com/products/stepncwrite/javaview.html

Finally for those willing to trade their money for someone elses time,
there is a high level API for STEP-NC included in the STEP-NC Machine
product. This API includes functions to rapidly find or compute most of
the attributes you would need in a line balancing application and it is
our intention to keep extending it until the API has all the functions
that industry needs.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/closed_loop/Modular_Foundry_Language.pdf

We would be glad to talk to you or Magnus about what is needed in this
API for line balancing. We can also talk about adding more attributes to
the XML comments, such as the current estimated execution time of an
operation, that will make line balancing applications easier to write.
The nice thing about comments is that they are optional, so we do not
have to worry about the data being necessary and sufficient for the
standard (timing attributes would actually be redundant because they can
be computed) or our software.

Martin Hardwick
President STEP Tools, Inc.
Team Leader STEP-Manufacturing
Professor and Acting Head of Computer Science, RPI