[step-manufacturing] Minutes of Conference Call #19

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Thu Jun 3 14:52:00 EDT 2010

Stephen Newman, U.Bath, UK
Anna Valente, ITIA-CNR, Italy
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Ian Stroud, EPFL, Switzerland
John Callen, Autodesk, USA
Thomas Breunung, Walter AG, Germany
Anglea Albus, TDM Systems, Germany
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA

The part has been machined in Wax by NIST and Boeing.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/nist-waxy-boxy.png
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/DSCN5039.JPG

We discussed the setup issue. The operator would like for the workpiece
origin to be the same for each setup. The origin can be set in the
STEP-NC Explorer by right clicking the workplan that defines the setup
and picking the "Edit Placement" option. In the current version of Boxy
the setup is defined so that the origin is in the middle of the top
face. NIST will try defining the origin to be the bottom, back, left
corner of the rawpiece so that it can be the same for each setup.
Adjustments will have to be made when material has already been removed
for a face used in the setup.

Boeing has made new cross section data for Boxy using Vericut and STEP
Tools has added the cross sections to the latest version on the ftp site:

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/Boxy_Part_3-Axis_Machining_7_Setups_v7.238

We discussed STEP URL's. Other groups are interested in putting STEP
data onto the Internet. STEP-NC is different because in addition to
defining a data exchange standard it defines an environment for
machining a part. This environment needs to be able to evolve as more
detail is added to the machining program. In this cycle we have made
significant use of STRL's to update Boxy with new Mastercam tool paths.
In future cycles we want to start use them to implement distributed
process planning, path planning, closed loop machining applications.

STRL's will be further discussed in the technical sessions (Thursday
June 17 and Friday June 18) of the NIST meeting. A new agenda for that
meeting has been put onto the ftp site.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/T24_NIST_Agenda.pdf

Please note that a new session has been added to the end of Wednesday to
discuss STEP-NC and Mil Standard 31000.

The next call will be at the regular times on *Wednesday June 9*.

The recording of this call has not yet been posted.

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader STEP-Manufacturing

Action Items