[step-manufacturing] Minutes of Conference Call #8

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Sun Feb 7 19:23:17 EST 2010

_Attendees_
Anna Valente, ITIA-CNR, Italy
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Alain Brail, AlBavis,  France
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden

_Apologies for Absence_
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Aydin Nassehi, U.Bath, UK
Stephen Newman, U.Bath, UK
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Robert Erikson, Pratt & Whitney, USA

We discussed the material and cutting tools. Sandvik is going to
experiment with machining tougher materials and Boeing is going to
experiment with machining using softer tools. After the experiments have
been completed all the machining sites should use the same selected
material and cutting tools so that the results of the experiments can be
confirmed over multiple locations.

NIST has a dynamometer that can be used to measure cutting forces before
and after the tool has been worn. We will use this dynamometer to test
the tools by machining a test cut on a test part after completing the
machining of each setup in Boxy.

Boeing has created cutting cross section data for the diameter 16mm
tool. STEP Tools is updating the STEP-NC Explorer to read this data
after a user has selected a workingstep.

The next call will be at the regular times on Wednesday February 17th. A
video of this call is on the ftp site.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/stepmanuf_telecon_20100203.wmv

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader STEP-Manufacturing

Action Items
Sandvik and Boeing to experiment with machining different  materials and
cutting tools.
STEP Tools to extend the STEP-NC Explorer to read cross section data for
selected workingsteps.