[step-manufacturing] Minutes of Conference Call #7

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Sat Jan 23 19:54:17 EST 2010

_Attendees_
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Alain Brail, AlBavis,  France
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Chris Pfeifer CCAT, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA

_Apologies for Absence_
Anna Valente, ITIA-CNR, Italy
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Aydin Nassehi, U.Bath, UK
Stephen Newman, U.Bath, UK
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Robert Erikson, Pratt & Whitney, USA

We agreed to use the 3-axis version of Boxy with 12 setups for the tool
wear demonstration.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/Boxy_Part_3-Axis_Machining_12_Setups.238

There were questions about the dimensions of the stock and how many of
the setups should be included in the demonstration. We agreed that these
issues should be resolved after the material and tools have been
selected so that we can estimate how much material must be removed to
get measurable tool wear. The team is reluctant to use titanium because
of safety issues. An alloy of stainless steel was suggested and Bengt
Olsson of Sandvik was tasked with selecting a material by January 27.

NIST has a Mitutoyo UMAP probe that should be suitable for measuring
actual tool wear at the demonstration. In order to verify the
measurement process Mitutoyo needs STEP models of the tools to be sent
to its Chicago office.

NIST has a dynamometer that can be used to measure the cutting forces. A
discussion of how to use this device was sent in a separate message.

The next call will be at the regular times on Wednesday February 3rd. A
video of this call and the last call are now on the ftp site.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/stepmanuf_telecon_20100106.wmv
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/stepmanuf_telecon_20100120.wmv

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader STEP-Manufacturing

Action Items
Sandvik to suggest material and cutting tools.
STEP Tools to extend STEP-NC Explorer to show total machining time for
each tool.