[step-manufacturing] Minutes of 9th conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Tue Feb 24 09:32:52 EST 2009

Attendees
---------------
Matthew Lloyd, CCAT
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, Inc.
Mikael Hedlind, KTH
Magnus Lundgren, KTH
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik
David Odendahl, Boeing
Alain Brail, AlBavis
Fred Proctor, NIST
Beyong Lee, NIST/Postech
Leon Xu, Boeing
Patrick Marchand, CEITM

Apologies for absence
--------------------------------
Gary Hargreaves, Mastercam
Xun Xu, University of Auckland
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo
Aydin Nassehi, University of Bath
Ian Stroud, EPFL

A new version of the STEP-NC Explorer has been put onto the ftp site.
This version can read AP-203 e2 files and simulate machining on three
machine tools: the KTH trunnion, the CCAT DMU e70 and the Boeing
Northwood gantry. The new version can also make movies showing the
machining simulation. A video of the mold part being machined
has  been put onto the ftp site.  AP-238 data for the mold part has
been made by Boeing and also put onto the ftp site.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Vancouver/test_data/stepnc_6_4.msi
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Vancouver/test_data/moldy_movie.wmv
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Vancouver/test_data/moldy.238

We discussed the priorities for new software development for the
demonstration. The two priorities are:

1. Update the AP-203 e2 processor so that it can recognize and
process annotations that are constraints on the surface finish.
2. Update the collision detection algorithms to detect collisions on
the three machine tools.

We need to decide if this round of demonstration will feature
feed-speed optimization. The feed speed optimization parameters for
plunge milling have not yet been completed so they are not currently
included in the AP-238 TC.

We discussed the placement of the tool origin. Currently ISO 13399
places the origin at the tool gauge line and AP-238 places the origin
at the tool tip. In order to increase flexibility and allow legacy
models to define tools it was suggested that AP-238 be extended to
allow the user to define the location and direction of the origin on the tool.

The Goto meeting site worked well. Because we are now using this site
for both screen and the voice connections a video with sound can be
made to record the conference call. The video for this call is at:

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Vancouver/stepmanuf_telecon_20090218.wmv

The next conference call will be held on Wednesday March 4th at the
usual times.

Action items
1.   David Odendahl to machine some test parts to make sure that the
male and female halves fit.
2.   Sid Venkatesh to clarify any restrictions on nationality
restrictions a the Boeing facilities.
3.   Partners to commit to participation in the demonstration by March 4th.