[step-manufacturing] RE: Meeting schedule for WG7 and SC1 in Frankfurt/Germany

cbrown at kcp.com cbrown at kcp.com
Tue Aug 21 13:39:13 EDT 2007

A quick 2 cents from another patent / standard incident.

I am currently not a member of the WG7 and SC1 however our metrology group
is considering participating toward developing extensions of this work for
coordinate metrology and therefore that might explain why I have been
included on these email.

As the metrology community witnessed first hand with the Dimensional
Measuring Interface Standard (DMIS), ANSI/CAM-I 101-1990 (version 2.1), a
patent in 1993 was issued that looked and smelled like the DMIS 2.1
standard.  The perception of a patent on a national standard literally
killed all progression of the standard and many vendors deviated their DMIS
standard implementations to their own proprietary implementations.
Furthermore, nobody wanted to volunteer their time to progress a standard
for the benefit of the patent holder.  It was not until 1995 that our
standard's committee leadership convinced the patent holder to donate their
patent to the public domain that we were able to revive the DMIS standard
committee and the continuation of DMIS enhancements.  Fortunately we have
recovered and today DMIS is at version 5.1 and soon to be an update of DMIS
ISO standard ISO 22093 via TC184.

Again, it was the perception of a patent on a national standard that
overrode any technical or legal understand of what the patent actually
contained as it pertained to the DMIS standard.   However, as we painfully
learned, we may use the data available, our experience and our own wisdom
and yet, all of our decisions are colored by our perceptions, that is,
perception is everything.

Hopefully, this committee can do a better job then we did of communicating
to the public what the patent does and does not do to the outstanding work
contained in the STEP-NC standard.

Curtis W. Brown,
Chairman of the DMIS Standards Committee

Principal. Engineer
Science-Based Engineering
NNSA's Kansas City Plant
Operated by Honeywell FM&T, LLC
816-997-3548
cbrown at kcp.com

             "Suk-Hwan Suh"
             <shs at postech.ac.k
             r>                                                         To
             Sent by:                  "'Martin Hardwick'"
             step-manufacturin         <hardwick at steptools.com>, "'Mr.
             g-bounces at steptoo         Proctor \(NIST\)'"
             ls.com                    <proctor at cme.nist.gov>, "'Xun Xu'"
                                       <x.xu at auckland.ac.nz>, "'Stroud Ian
                                       Anthony'" <ian.stroud at epfl.ch>
             08/19/2007 11:29                                           cc
             PM                        Dimitris Kiritsis
                                       <dimitris.kiritsis at epfl.ch>,
                                       step-manufacturing at steptools.com,
                                       "'HYSakamoto'"
                                       <sakamoto at hyunwoninc.com>, Newman
                                       <S.T.Newman at bath.ac.uk>, "'vitr'"
                                       <m.vitr at wzl.rwth-aachen.de>,
                                       vankhai.nguyen at etat.ge.ch, "'??'"
                                       <winxen at hanmail.net>, "'Hascoet'"
                                       <jean-yves.hascoet at irccyn.ec-nantes
                                       .fr>, "'olivier\(AFNOR\)'"
                                       <olivier.teitgen at afnor.org>,
                                       "'protic catherine'"
                                       <catherine.protic at afnor.org>,
                                       "'wesche'" <a.wesche at vdw.de>, "'Ms
                                       V.Maupin'"
                                       <valerie.maupin at afnor.org>, "Tanaka
                                       \(Hokkaido Univ\)"
                                       <ftanaka at ssi.ist.hokudai.ac.jp>,
                                       "'marchand \(CETIM-Fr\)'"
                                       <patrick.marchand at cetim.fr>,
                                       "'Glantschnig1'"
                                       <fredglant at hispeed.ch>,
                                       inouye at jp.fujitsu.com, "'???'"
                                       <jaihun at ats.go.kr>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [step-manufacturing] RE:
                                       Meeting schedule for WG7 and SC1 in
                                       Frankfurt/Germany

Dear all:

I would like to express my opinion on the Patent issue brought up to your
attention by Prof. Martin Hardwick:

1. As Prof. Hardwick pointed out, I am the principal inventor of two
patents
on STEP-NC which are related with the implementation of ISO 14649. They are
titled 1) “Method for automatically generating part program for use in
STEP-NC," (US Patent US6795749), and 2) “Intelligent STEP-NC controller,”
(US Patent US7099737). For your reference, I am attaching three papers
published in technical Journals (CAD 2003, IJCIM 2002, IJAMT 2002).

2. According to the regulation of POSTECH Academy-Industry Foundation, who
supported my research on the above technologies and is thus the owner of
the
patents (which I myself have known only recently), the use of the patents
are legally allowed for non-commercial purpose such as research and
experiment, while for commercial purpose, the use of the patented
technology
needs to be discussed with POTECH Academy-Industry Foundation beforehand
case by case.

3. As I explained to Prof. Hardwick earlier, I, as the Convenor of WG7, do
not have any intention to bind general implementation of the ISO 14649.
And
I truly promote any further studies on STEP-NC and potential applications
by
related industries.  As Professor Xu pointed out, it is of no use if what
is
patented for has little commercial potential.  However, in consideration of
the long years of our intensive research efforts, it is of my opinion that
specific technologies described in the patents and the technical journals
should be somehow protected for commercial implementations as Dr. Stroud
pointed out.

4. The joint meeting on Oct. 1~3 in Frankfurt will provide a good chance to
discuss this matter in detail.  I welcome any opinion of yours on this
issue.

I look forward to seeing you in October,

P.S. Meeting schedule sent before was not properly formatted, so I am
sending again as follows:

1. Meeting place: VDMA, Frankfurt, Germany
2. Meeting schedule: Oct 1-3
3. Agenda: 1) 2nd Ed of ISO 14649 (Part 1, Part 10, Part 11, Part 12, Part
111, Part 121), 2) NWIP for Machine Tool (ISO 14649 Part 110), 3) NWIP/DIS
for EDM (ISO 14649 Part 13, Part 14),  4) NWIP for inspection, RP, Robot,
etc., 5) Patent issues, 6) Projects, etc.
4. Special note: October 3 is National Holiday in Germany, and VDMA will be
closed. For the Meeting on Oct 3, Mr. Rossi, Chair of SC1, picked up a
hotel
(INNSIDE) located opposite VDMA. Pelase reserve hotel INNSIDE for Oct 3,
required for the use of Meeting room on Oct 3.
5. Reply requested for your attendance by "August 30."
6. For more details, please contact me, or refer to the previous e-mail for
Call for WG7 Meeting that I sent on August 7.

Suk-Hwan Suh / Convener of ISO TC184/SC1/WG7