Proposal for White paper debate on Wednesday Afternoon in San Diego

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Thu Dec 12 17:26:25 EST 2002

All,

There were intense discussions in Seoul on whether AP-238 or ISO 14649
should be the new standard for CAM to CNC data exchange.

At that meeting we agreed that each side would prepare a white paper
describing the merits of their approach and that these papers should
be circulated before the San Diego meeting.

I propose that we take time out at the San Diego meeting to discuss
the two white papers in a joint meeting with the Implementors Forum
on Wednesday Afternoon (March 12).

The format can be arranged in debating style to be something like:

1. The case for ISO 14649 presented by the 14649 white paper team
2. The case for AP-238 presented by the AP-238 white paper team
3. Discussions from the floor with clarifications and issues being
   raised as necessary
4. Summary by the ISO 14649 team
5. Summary by the AP-238 team

Any decisions can wait until everyone has had time to think about
what was presented.

If this is agreeable then I will make a room reservation in the
SC4 schedule.

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader STEP Manufacturing
Chair Implementor's Forum