[st-users] Parametric feature capabilities representation in STEP

Walter Deodiaus deodiaus at my-deja.com
Fri Aug 3 01:37:30 EDT 2001

A question to all STEP CAD/CAM experts out there.
Are there any STEP standards which address parametric features?
Basically, using STEP, has anyone specified how a CSG tree has LISP like relations which describe the interdependencies amongst the various nodes?  I would think that if one is truly concerned about data interchange, one has to be thinking about how to preserve this information from system (PTC's Pro/E) to system (UGS's SolidEdge or SolidWorks)?
The information I am looking at is something like that described here
http://www.revit.com/changeengine/ChangeEngine.pdf

I have looked at the CSG specs, but don't think that the information there is sufficient to represent all that information.  Is there something which I have overlooked or not considered? Would you be kind enough to explain it to me?
Do any CAD companies exchange info in formats which have this info, or is it not in their interest to do so?

Ref:
http://www.business-advantage.co.uk/spaghetti/revitrevolution.htm
http://www.cadenceweb.com/2000/0500/toolbox0500.html
http://www.cadenceweb.com/2000/0500/tr0500_revit.html
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=author:deodiaus&start=30&hl=en&safe=off&rnum=34&selm=87vgfr%24sre%241%40news.btv.ibm.com

I hope that this is an appropriate newsgroup for his question.  If not, any suggestions on where to post this?